1. Educating our ‘whole community’ about Mental Health and Suicide issues,
- by recognising suicides can happen to anyone of us at any time
- as a result of an immediate or ‘situational crisis’
“…many people who become suicidal do not have a mental illness. An acute situational crisis can lead to suicidal behaviour.” beyondblue website, ‘Man Therapy’ P 2.
- so Ads do not just target depression and ‘at risk’ groups
- with an underlining message of ‘normalising’ and de stigmatising Mental Health
- will lead to many, many more of us being able to recognise
- when we need help
- and take ourselves off to the Doctor or Mental Health Professional
- ‘with the same ease as going to the Doctor for colds and flu’ …
- also to discuss/share with Family, mates, work colleagues etc
- With the same ease.
2. ALL those around someone who may be experiencing problems,
- partners, brothers/sisters, relatives, workmates, team mates, neighbours etc
- will know they can play a very important, potentially life saving role
- By asking ‘RUOK?‘,
- Offering love, help, empathy and support and
- Encouraging them to seek Professional help
- from Doctor, Mental Health Professional etc.
- and be able to offer REAL support by just ‘being there’
- for them with Love, ‘Company’ sharing, empathy support etc.
3. So the whole community works together to help each other.
- This should include bringing our Doctors ‘on board’
- e.g. by having a prominent notice in EVERY waiting room
- ‘If UR struggling with UR Mental Health or know someone who is … please feel very free to mention it to UR Doctor.”
- Police, extra training and vigilance, sensitivity to anyone ‘at risk’
- Other Professionals in Particular the Legal Community, being sensitive to clients who may be at risk.
- Sporting clubs/other Pubs, Clubs and Restaurants etc – I little staff training.
4. Getting through to whole communities via ‘slow lane’, local newspapers.
- ‘Slow Lane’, Local newspapers are preferred and targeted because
- Apart from Facebook etc on Social Media
- The Local, weekly newspaper is
- the ONE PLACE where the WHOLE community
- Meets together, once a week and
- Unlike daily tabloids these local Papers ‘hang around’
- ALL week, on kitchen tables, lounge room tables and maybe even next to the double bed,
- ALL the important places we want them to be read – with food, conversation, and even sex!
5. Getting to our Males? – who may be
- Too busy? not interested?
- more interested in sport/food/ alcohol, porn sites etc???
- no criticism here THIS IS reality – no problem…
- there is more that one way to kill a cat …
- you make ALL adverts Female Friendly because
- SHE will read it and be
- more likely to understand it’s contents and the rest is easy
- just let nature take it’s course’ and
- leave the rest to a little
- Pillow Talk!
6. These adverts are so very cost effective, e.g.
- assume a local country newspaper with a readership of 25,000 and
- a total discounted all up price printed,and delivered in the paper of
- $500 per advert made up of half advertising space and
- half admin/ type setting etc and something for the writer then
- assuming a VERY conservative readership of
- just 10% of the readership which is 2,500 readers
- this life saving message costs a whopping
- 20 cents per read.
- Just how much is one life really worth
- It is a whole lot more than 20 cents
7. So I can deliver 26 Fortnightly ‘long’ 300 word adverts
- into 50 local weekly newspapers Australia wide
- for a year for a paltry
- Again, just how much is one Aussies life REALLY worth
8. So doing ‘whole of Australia’ Suicide prevention
- for ten years say
- $650,000 x 10 and allowing for inflation
- say $7 Million Dollars
9. So I believe we could reasonably expect to reduce the suicide rate by 30%
- by the end of this decade or save
- 30% of 2,362 ( current average deaths last decade)
- lives by 2024
- A whopping
- 700 lives per year
- from 2024
10. Or a total financial cost per life saved (on original investment $7 Million)
- of just $9,000.
- How much is one Aussies life really worth???
- It is a whole lot more
- Than $9,000.
- and a WHOLE LOT cheaper than spending
- $55 Billion (recent past average of $5.5 Billion) x10 – over 10 years
- On infrastructure.
Tim Barritt. 28.7.16.