A warm Welcome to this ‘Whole of Community’ Suicide Prevention Media and Public Information site. N.B. This is NOT a HELP site, scroll down 4 help lines if needed.
Key features on this Home Page, updated 1.6.17…
- 5 of my more recent ads. I use pictures, humor, graphic design and SEX APPEAL to ‘draw my reader in’ to the ad. I also use Love, 66 years of my own ‘ups and downs’ as experience. They are easy to read, with non Professional, non threatening language, and concentrate on the common, universal issues which cause Suicides like Heartbreak, Situational Crisis, Loneliness and Trauma.
- BBC interview (Podcast) with Claudia Hammond of ‘Health Check’ (two degrees in Psychology) and with comment/discussion on my ads by Professor Keith Hawton, Director of Suicide Research at Oxford University.
- Suicide stats (from 1921) and Road Fatality (stats from 1970) for Australia, with graphs plotting the two together – for 35 years since 1980.
- 7 Minute video shot from my home town Lyndoch across the Barossa Valley to my hills where I live and work. If you want to know ‘who I am’ and ‘what I am’ and why I do what I do, this is the place to go. Features my ‘ACE‘ – and very trusty sheep dog Angel!
- The Politics of Suicide Prevention. $5.5 billion/year ave spent on National Infrastructure last 7 years, but less than 1% of this/year, $41 Million spent on beyondblue – our ‘Emotional Roads’, Australia’s official Prevention body.
For new Graphs + comments, 7p pdf with 2015 Stats – updated 15.12.16 click below
This is NOT a help site.**
This site is purpose built for anyone, media or general public to find out more about my Suicide Prevention Advertising, what the Adverts are, how they are intended to work, why they have been created – and the underlying ‘core thinking’ behind them.
**If you are feeling Suicidal or struggling with UR Mental Health, if urgent, numbers for Australia only, Dial 000, see ANY Doctor, Suicide Callback 1300 659 467, Lifeline 13 11 14. If less urgent see ANY Doctor or Mental Health Professional, go to beyondblue or Lifeline websites or by telephone as recommended on these sites.
The ‘ethic’ behind All my ads is to highlight the many issues, largely learned from 65 years of my own life experiences, then guide readers into Professional Help as above.
Importantly, they are ALSO intended to teach partners, lovers, family, friends, work/team mates and everyone else in the community the signs and circumstances of emotional pain, so they can play a key role in keeping others alive! Initially by encouraging them to get this Professional Help ASAP, and next by offering their own valuable love, caring and support. This very recent Ad in the Byron Shire ‘Echo’ explains this carefully – The Life you save – might NOT just be your own!Click below
BBC interview with Claudia Hammond of ‘Health Check’, and Professor Keith Hawton, Director of Suicide Research, Oxford University (with comment and critique on what I am trying to achieve with my adverts), click below or goto ‘BBC’ on menu bar. Podcast courtesy of – and with grateful thanks to the BBC ‘Health Check’ team. You will need to wait a minute or so while Claudia introduces the whole program.
While my crowdfunding attempts to raise money for adverts in the Sydney Morning Herald did NOT prove successful, if you want to ‘meet’ me in person, along with my trusty sheep dog ‘Angel’ – in my home town of Lyndoch – this 8 minute video might just give you a laugh, and introduce you ‘in another way’ – to who I am and what I do.
$5.5 billion/year ave spent on National Infrastructure last 7 years, but less than 1% of this/year, $41 Million spent on beyondblue – our ‘Emotional Roads’, click here (3p). The Politics of Suicide Prevention Updated 31.7.16
Also new – 21 of my latest typeset adverts (see 21 typeset ads on Menu bar) and my new ad ‘Anatomy of a Broken Heart’ click here EW0135-V83. Also for pdf on ‘How Aussie preventable deaths are treated differently by our Politicians and Media click here :- 7 Suicides happening silently, each and every day. Also recent Men’s Health Column Towards a Gun Safe Community. Male Box for Feb 16.
For latest 2014 Suicide Stats, Road fatalities since 1970, Aussie Suicide Stats since 1921, all the ‘Raw’ figures used for my graph, comments etc. This is a 15 P download. Click here. Suicide-and-Road-Fatality-Stats-E-14-12-16-with-Graph-and-all-Data-used
Personal site disclosure information.
I have a financial interest in this site as follows …
While my primary focus is saving precious lives, and there is currently nothing on this site ‘for sale’ – and no links to anything that is:- I have funded my Prevention Advertising so far myself to the tune of around $15,000 now. At present, I have 1 fortnightly Sponsor in South Australia and 1 in N.S.W.
At this point in time (1.6.17) -I have not made one cent from my S.P. activities, and currently have no wish to.
Also for anyone wanting to offer these ads – or upgraded versions- to their own Communities anywhere in Australia, which are currently available to your Community totally free, to any Community who can find the money for the advertising space – which is paid directly to the Newspaper – NOT to me.
The following story appeared in the ‘South Australian Showcase’ – celebrating a ‘Showcase of Inspiration’ of country South Australia by Country Press S.A. “which was inserted into all member newspapers across the State” the first week of September 2014, for the Adelaide Show. Click once, then twice on image to enlarge to read the text.
The site also has some info about who I am, why I do what I do, the history of these adverts, and my contact details.
Tim Barritt. x